Saturday, May 19, 2012

They're going to have to roll me out of here!

I arrived a few days ago and checked in at St. Vincent's. It is definitely old and worn, but the staff is dedicating the summer (low-season) to cleaning, repairing and sprucing up the place. I like to think of it as a historic Motel 6. My room is acceptable... mini-fridge, sink, microwave, cable TV, free Wifi and a door that leads out to the wide veranda or "gallery". The cats lik this because they can watch the people below and birds and squirrels in the trees. The carpet's gross and the white wicker furniture needs spray-painting. There are two 12 foot floor to ceiling windows with long draperies. In days past they were flung open to catch the breezes, before air conditioning. Now I've got a window unit. Primitive yes, but it's New Orleans and everything here is OLD. You've got to go with the flow.

There's a newly opened restaurant downstairs under seperate management and it's sort of "hip and trendy." In the evenings, off-duty staffers and guests mingle around the saltwater pool in the courtyard... grilling, drinking, playing guitar, etc. Interesting vibe... people from all walks of life. The first night a group of guys from Ireland started singing around 9 and didn't let up till late. They all knew the words to ALL the Irish songs. As you might imagine, the beer was flowing freely.


I met up with my college friend Brent for coffee after I arrived, and he gave me a quick orientation before leaving town for the weekend. He recently bought a gorgeous historic home only blocks from where I'm staying. At the coffee shop, we found postcards on a table inviting everyone to the neighborhood association's Saturday crawfish boil ;-)


Yesterday, I had the pleasure of mystery shopping the Gumbo Shop in the French Quarter and had their crawfish etouffee with warm, fresh French bread. It was delicious! My "new" friend Josh Wright had the shrimp po-boy and it was amazing! He's an L.A. stuntman and pilot who recently moved here to work in the booming local film industry.



Today, I got to mystery shop one of Ralph Brennan's French Qtr. restaurants, the Red Fish Grill. The flash fried oysters in a BBQ blue cheese sauce were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment